One in every of Montana’s most cherished wildlife administration areas is positioned on the chopping block. The Montana Division of Fish, Wildlife and Parks is now a full companion within the brutal battle the logging business is waging in opposition to nature. The FWP proposes to liquidate (machine document) roughly 1,500 acres of prime wildlife habitat within the Blackfoot-Clearwater Wildlife Administration Space (BCWMA).
You heard that proper, Wildlife Log. Registration for personal capital service nearer to the reality. Which is best, non-public capital or wildlife? The document all the time seems and sounds higher when shrouded in a prefabricated, disingenuous narrative of the timber business, creating confusion and apathy within the fishing group, and an actual sense of delight and manhood within the governor’s workplace.
Do not be fooled once more, looting means sure demise and forest destruction. When large machines begin tearing the jungle to items, wild animals and native fish will attempt to escape. However the place can they flip that which isn’t already funded right into a farm producing nothing however government-owned items?
Individuals additionally learn…
The excellent news is that FWP is accepting public feedback, no later than January nineteenth. This does not give hunters and anxious residents a lot time, however that is the sport of life and demise the federal government is enjoying within the Blackfoot-Clearwater space.
Involved residents can entry the Draft Environmental Evaluation (DEA) of the Donnie Lake Forest Habitat Enchancment Challenge at fwp.mt.gov/public-notices/information/2023/jan/doney-lake-forest-habitat-improvement-project-draft-ea.
Expedited registration with a 15-day public remark interval precludes significant public participation, a proper assured by the Montana Structure.
FWP should obtain feedback no later than January nineteenth.
Factors to think about in your feedback:
1) Carry out an EIS with a whole financial evaluation that features non-monetary values and advantages (pursuits).
2) Has the FWP consulted with the US Fish and Wildlife Service to acquire a “allow” for grizzly bear, lynx, bull trout, whitebark pine and wolverine that “could also be current” within the mission space?
3) Is there any proof that elk and different ungulates are missing meals, are unwell, or are in declining inhabitants within the mission space?
4) The place is the supply of funds for submitting public data for personal lumber corporations at a loss to Montana taxpayers? What federal cash is being paid for this mission?
5) Please present forensic proof to help the belief that the forest is “unhealthy” and in want of “therapy”.
6) Please describe how logging reduces hiding and thermal cowl for elk and different massive animals, displacing them to neighboring non-public land. Is there a “hidden agenda” to advertise pay-to-play recreation farming and to extend charges/income?
7) Please disclose how logging disturbs the soil, which contributes to the unfold of weeds and reduces organic and genetic range.
FWP lists most of the purported advantages within the DEA’s purported “Goal/Want”. Let’s unpack just a few baggage now.
“Massive recreation foraging enchancment” is a euphemism. FWP is making an attempt to cover cows. The general public could discover it insulting or upsetting to know that slicing down timber to extend forage is all the time an indication of a number of cows competing with massive packs of recreation for restricted forage. Most canned company accounts that “promote development and regeneration of aspen” try to cover cows. Cows and large recreation like to chew on aspen leaves and twigs.
“Encouraging low-intensity wildfires” is propaganda that ignores the dry circumstances and excessive winds that result in massive wildfires – the “remedies” do not work.
Logging is about cash and management. Gaslighting hides the truth that this can be a heist made to seem like a present from Santa.
Logging down timber to enhance forest well being and wildlife habitats is a nonsensical fantasy. Corrupt Montana politicians demand a gentle stream of data in help of mill homeowners and financial institution parasites who exploit taxpayers for revenue. Finish this insanity, remark at the moment.
Steve Kelly is a Bozeman artist, horticulturist and president of the Fish and Wildlife Council.