I’m scripting this whereas coping with covid. It hit me on Wednesday, coincidentally the day between the Knicks’ bruising defeat in Dallas and no matter occurred in San Antonio. Greater than any illness I’ve ever had, Covid is like viral Liebs insanity: Day-after-day, my signs are new and appear random. Sooner or later I felt scorching in my head—I used to be sweating like Patrick Ewing—however the remainder of my physique was freezing. One other day I felt like my left foot had swelled to a few instances its regular dimension, although it appeared regular. All of the meals tastes unusual, as if it was translated right into a language that might not comprehend its magic.
Covid haze can also be a factor. I really feel slower, cognitive, Mos Def. However this doesn’t essentially imply stupidity. Typically a slowing or stopping of exercise can reveal information that we usually would not have seen. For the previous few days I’ve been quarantined alone in a single room. I can not speak a lot to anybody with out having suits of coughing. So I largely sat round being current, with out the standard exterior stimuli. I discover silence to be fairly new. I wish to have much less noise and extra silence.
Not having the power to recap or talk about Knicks on Twitter has helped me discover a easy and higher appreciation for these Knicks. Not every thing must be a referendum on their previous strikes or future aspirations. They’re only a crew in a second the place I am usually completely happy to be caught with them. Think about somebody instructed you earlier than this season began:
- Julius Randle, who was much less common final yr than the common New York Metropolis mayor, scores Nick’s career-highs from the sector whereas reaching career-highs in 3 seconds and free throws made per recreation; There’s a greater shot than good he could make his second All-Star recreation as Nick. I am fairly sick of researching this, however aside from Alan Huston, I do not suppose any free signing with a Knick agent has completed this.
- Former Offseason Free Agent Award Jalen Brunson can also be a deserving All-Star. He performed a much bigger function than he ever had within the execs and was greater than able to shouldering that duty, all of the whereas making his teammates’ jobs simpler because of the Knicks lastly having an excellent twin guard for the primary time in practically 20 years.
- RJ Barrett shoots profession bests on 2s and free throws.
- A constant and purposeful presence on each ends of the sector, Mitchell Robinson is arguably one of the best offensive participant within the league whereas hitting highs on the offensive and defensive glass. The nationwide announcers have to be working to do away with their reminiscences from three years in the past as a result of they nonetheless at all times deliver up issues with Mitch and the sleazy, which wasn’t a factor in a very long time.
- 5 Knicks common double digits. All of them are below 30 years outdated. And three of them are between the ages of twenty-two and 23. Two of those rookies have emerged as distinctive two-way threats with stunning wrinkles to their talent units: Quentin Grimes exhibiting extra unmistakable creativity than we have seen prior to now yr, whereas Emmanuel Kwikley, whose early years have been slick, has been slick. From Lou Williams’ comparisons, he is been top-of-the-line defensemen within the NBA this season.
There’s extra I might share, however I am beginning to cough up a storm and have a headache, so I am ending this right here. Simply keep in mind that not solely is it unfair to get pleasure from this developmental interval in Nick’s historical past, it is most likely clever. 5 years in the past, the large three for Knicks video games have been Courtney Lee, Frank Ntilikina, and Kyle Aucoin. Three years earlier, two of their chief executives have been Shane Larkin and Jason Smith. 5 years in the past he paints an fascinating distinction: New York was awful 29-53, however its three chiefs are David Lee, Danilo Gallinari and Wilson Chandler. There was a framework for the longer term, and the following three years have been the Knicks’ finest in over a decade.
There will probably be extra low factors professionally, similar to losses in opposition to Dallas and San Antonio. However there’s lots occurring and it is good and enjoyable, for those who decelerate, the noise dies down and simply get pleasure from it. I hope you needn’t let Covid discover it your self. Thanks for letting us right here at P&T be part of your life. Love and lightweight to all of you, mates.