Chicago (5 January 2023) – U.S. Ladies’s Nationwide Staff head coach Vlatko Andonovski has chosen a 24-player roster for BioSteel’s January coaching camp and journey to New Zealand that features two video games towards Soccer Ferns, co-host of the 2023 Ladies’s World Cup.
The USWNT will practice in New Zealand for six days earlier than dealing with the Ferns at Sky Stadium (which is Wellington’s regional house floor in the course of the World Cup) in Wellington/Te Whanganui-a-Tara. The match will kick off at 4pm native time on January 18th, which might be 10pm EST on January seventeenth within the US. The groups meet once more on January twenty first at Eden Park in Oakland/Tāmaki Makaurau, additionally at 4pm native time, which might be 10pm EST on January twentieth within the US. Tickets for each matches Supplied on the market by New Zealand Soccer.
TNT and HBO Max would be the unique English-language website for dwell protection of American soccer beginning in 2023. Each matches from New Zealand might be accessible on HBO Max. On sport days, followers can head to HBO Max’s house web page or sports activities style web page to tune in to the sport dwell in addition to for pre- and post-game protection with out industrial breaks. Match replays might be accessible instantly following post-match protection.
Two gamers return to this 12 months’s high US roster after recovering from long-term accidents to defender Emily Sonnett and ahead Lynn Williams, however the USA might be with out forwards Sophia Smith (foot) and Megan Rapinoe (ankle). Sonnet, who has 69 caps, final performed for the US within the semi-finals of the CONCACAF W Championship on July 14 towards Costa Rica, a match through which she scored her first worldwide objective. Williams (47 caps/14 objectives), who underwent hamstring surgical procedure that saved her out for the whole 2022 season, performed for the US on February 23 on the 2022 SheBelieves Cup.
“Now we have been eager about and planning for the World Cup for a very long time, however when the calendar turns right into a World Cup 12 months, it definitely brings some focus and renewed vitality because the match begins in lower than 200 days,” he mentioned. Andonovsky. “Bringing the workforce to New Zealand in January and enjoying in our World Cup venues has lots of advantages, so we are going to be certain that to maximise our time collectively, make this journey as productive as attainable and luxuriate in a singular expertise. One in all our gamers has by no means been to New Zealand earlier than.”
USA Ladies’s Nationwide Staff Roster by Place (Membership, Appearances/Objectives) – BioSteel January NZL Coaching Camp:
Goalkeepers (3): Adrianna Franch (Kansas Metropolis Present; 10), Casey Murphy (North Carolina Braveness; 11), Alyssa Naeher (Chicago Crimson Stars; 86)
Defenders (8): Alana Cook dinner (OL Reign; 19/0), Crystal Dunn (Portland Thorns FC; 126/24), Emily Fox (Racing Louisville FC; 22/0), Naomi Girma (San Diego Wave FC; 10/0), Sofia Huerta (OL Reign; 25/0), Hailie Mace (Kansas Metropolis Present; 8/0), Becky Sauerbrunn (Portland Thorns FC; 211/0), Emily Sonnett (Washington Spirit; 69/1)
Mediators (7): Sam Coffey (Portland Thorns FC; 4/0), Lindsey Horan (Olympique Lyonnais, FRA; 122/26), Taylor Cornick (San Diego Wave FC; 7/1), Rose Lavell (OL Reign; 84/22) , Christy Mewis (NJ / NY Gotham FC; 46/7), Ashley Sanchez (Washington Spirit; 17/3), Andy Sullivan (Washington Spirit; 37/3)
Attackers (6): Ashley Hatch (Washington Spirit; 14/4), Alex Morgan (San Diego Wave FC; 200/119), Midge Purse (NJ/NY Gotham FC; 20/4), Trinity Rodman (Washington Spirit; 10/2) , Mallory Swanson (Chicago Crimson Stars; 82/25), Len Williams (Kansas Metropolis Present; 47/14)
USA have performed Soccer Ferns 19 instances however by no means in New Zealand, so this would be the first ever New Zealand match for the USWNT, who’ve performed 715 matches of their historical past.
Though will probably be the peak of summer season when the US visits New Zealand in January, the upcoming World Cup would be the first FIFA Ladies’s World Cup to be held within the Southern Hemisphere, as will probably be winter and matches will be performed in cooler temperatures.
Within the World Cup, which takes place from July 20 to August. 20 of 10 stadiums in 9 host cities — 5 in Australia and 4 in New Zealand — the USWNT will open their Group E match towards Vietnam on July 22 at Auckland’s Eden Park/Tamaki Makawao, which may even be the host venue for the 2023 World Cup opening ceremony on July 20 when it performs New Zealand with Norway. Then the USA faces the Netherlands on July 27 at Wellington Regional Stadium in Wellington / Te Wanganui-A-Tara, adopted by the Group A winner on August 1 at Auckland’s Eden Park / Tamaki Makurao.
- Former Mallory Pugh, who married Chicago Cubs shortstop Dansby Swanson in December of final 12 months, will play her married title on the again of her jersey for the primary time in these first video games of 2023.
- The record consists of solely 4 gamers with 100 or extra caps: defender Becky Sauerbrunn (211), Alex Morgan (200), Kristall Dunn (126) and Lindsay Horan (122).
- The record consists of 14 gamers with 25 caps or fewer, together with three gamers with single-digit caps in Hailie Mace (8), Taylor Kornieck (7) and Sam Coffey (4).
- Morgan is the main scorer on the record with 119 profession objectives, good for fifth in US historical past. Horan scored 26 worldwide objectives, Swanson 25, Dunne 24 and Rose Lavelle 22.
- 13 gamers on this record watched the motion within the newest USA-New Zealand assembly and the 2022 SheBelieves Cup. Swanson and Ashley Hatch scored for the US within the win, whereas Hatch and defender Sofia Huerta scored assists and Alyssa Naher scored a clear sheet.
- 9 completely different NWSL golf equipment are represented on this record, led by 5 gamers from the Washington Spirit and three gamers every from Portland Thorns FC, Kansas Metropolis Present, San Diego Wave FC, and OL Reign.
- Matches in New Zealand imply that the USWNT may have performed two video games towards every of the 2023 Ladies’s World Cup co-hosts of their house nations in a 13-month interval following their go to to Australia in late November of 2021. Two gamers on this record – goalkeeper Casey Murphy and midfielder Ashley Sanchez – They received their first match within the USWNT throughout that journey to Australia.
- Eden Park, which has a capability of almost 50,000 spectators, is the nationwide stadium of New Zealand and has hosted many essential sporting occasions within the nation’s historical past. The unique sports activities floor on the location 122 years in the past opened in 1900.
- This match towards the USA at Eden Park would be the first ever within the stadium of the New Zealand ladies’s nationwide workforce, which has traditionally been dotted with gamers all over the world and has been capable of play intermittent matches at house.
- The match at Sky Stadium, which can maintain 34,500 World Cup followers when it is called Wellington Regional Stadium on account of sponsorship laws, might be Furness’ first on the venue since 2018.